The League of Women Voters of West Virginia supports:
- Strengthening West Virginia’s water quality to reflect EPA recommended human health criteria as well as measures to ensure West Virginians have access to clean, quality drinking water.
- Strengthening disclosure requirements for the sources of political campaign expenditures, including dark money.
- Establishment of an independent commission to draw up redistricting plans for representatives to the US House of Representatives and the WV Legislature.
- Measures that encourage investment in renewable energy and energy efficiency in West Virginia’s homes, non-profits, businesses, and industries.
- Maintaining expanded Medicaid coverage for the hundreds of thousands of West Virginians who rely on it for health care.
- Measures that will assure that all West Virginia children have access to adequate nutrition in their homes and schools.
- Measures to eliminate discrimination and to ensure equality of opportunity for education, employment, and housing for all West Virginians regardless of their race, color, gender, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, or disability.
In keeping with its goal of encouraging participation by citizens in their government, the League will continue to monitor election laws and oppose measures which limit access to voting.
Our members will be following action on these and other issues during the 2020 session. We appreciate your willingness to undertake public service and work toward our shared goal of creating a better West Virginia for all of its citizens.
Click here to read our Legislative Priorities Letter 2020 to members of the WV Legislature.
Some sources of news on the legislature:
- WV Legislature http://www.wvlegislature.gov/index.cfm
- The Charleston Gazette Mail usually has low cost trial subscriptions. https://www.wvgazettemail.com/
- WV Metro News (free) online at http://wvmetronews.com/
- WV Public Broadcasting https://www.wvpublic.org/ , including The Legislature Today nightly M-F on TV, radio, and digital